Friday, February 17, 2012

Ruminations on a dress.

This post is not really about this dress, but more about what came to my mind as I was wearing this dress today:



A simple black sweaterdress from Salt. I have accessorized it with a Truth Hair called "Jean", one of my go-to 5th & Oxford skins, Shiny Things Kelseys, and the Carmen hosiery from Insolence.

I was wearing this dress while socializing. For my sake I usually don't wear cocktail or evening dresses in the daytime (unless the event or venue is formal), so I have a bunch of go-to daytime wear. Simple dresses, suits, blouses, sweaters and skirts that I wear during the day. I want to look "nice" and most of my daytime wear would be considered appropriate in a dressy office. The thing is, I am often the dressiest dressed person at social places...and often the most covered up. I like my style, I mean after all, I have Audrey Hepburn as a Fashion Icon, but I don't want to be perceived as a "haughty fashionista", and I'm worried my look does that. And I must admit...I was wearing that dress at a lesbian venue, I know what you're thinking now and THAT is another story. Yes I suppose I could wear jeans and t-shirts when socializing, but that is not "me". It's hard to explain.

Is there anyone else out there who feels similarly?

SLURL to Salt

2 comments:

Kake Dastardly said...

My other concern would be that it conveys a kind of prudish or uptight vibe as well, no offense. It could make you less approachable. I, personally, adore that style and strive for it myself at times but perhaps it's time to update your style an eensy-teensy bit? Maybe show a lil skin (after all, even Holly Golightly showed some leg and cleavage on occasion *wink*), try some current patterns and fabrics in styles you are accustomed to? Stuff like that. Don't CHANGE your style - after all, it's a large part of who you are - just update. Tone down, add modern elements, don't be afraid to be the sexy beast we all know you are!

<3 Kake

Clare said...

"And I must admit...I was wearing that dress at a lesbian venue..."

- if it's where I think it is, it's not just a lesbian venue but a retro 1950's lesbian venue, for which you are dressed perfectly.

Your style is your own. It doesn't mean you're wed to it. If you want to wear jeans and a t-shirt, go for it. If you prefer dressing in perfect demure retro loveliness then nothing should stop you. If you want to do both on the same day, then that's fine too.

I certainly wouldn't look at that outfit and think 'haughty fashionista' but more 'fabulous femme fashionista' and, please can I have the landmark :)