Thursday, January 05, 2012

Undercover Tableau Girl

You've seen them, we all have. At Mon Tissu and Tres Blah in Lula, FD, and Clawtooth in Tableau. I've always called them "Tableau Girls"







Where did they come from?

The shapes of the original "Tableau Girl" designers, that's what. Google search for Nylon Pinckney and Elka Lahane for example. The shoppers saw the shapes in the displays and pretty much adopted them themselves. Originally it was somewhat honest smart-alecky reaction to the more traditional barbie-ish glamour girl avatars and styles, a la Dazzle and other cocktail/party/formal designers, since the Tableau crowd did mostly hand drawn casuals at that time.

But now.....lets admit it, it's become something of a parody of itself and has somewhat taken over. I was there at Tres Blah last week during a sale....and I overdosed on Oracul Maidenly, sourpuss faces, and thighs so far apart you can drive a truck through. Avatars that don't look "pretty" but like nicotine addicted 12 year olds wearing their 22 year old sisters clothes and makeup.

Yes, I know I shouldn't judge, but I like seeing pretty, and seeing some Tableau girls overly photoshopped, gaussian blurred and shadowed pics makes it hard to see the actual quality of the stuff! And the exaggerated bodies means the stuff will look somewhat different. But they have great stuff, sure they tend to over accesorize, but damn do they have some nice stuff...I think...but I can't tell. Yes I know there are not many review blogs anymore that's part of the problem.

I'm not saying that avatars shouldn't be curvy or have junk in the trunk...but there's good variety and bad variety. To much exaggeration in anything, height, boobehs, or hips makes for a bad shape for showing off fashion in a pleasing way.

I also can't tell Tableau Girl hair apart,has a sort of sameness to it, at least to my eyes.

Former Boss Salome also makes a slight of a reference to this issue in this post but she's not really commenting on the girls themselves.

I'm not going to SLURL The stuff, though that bag and skirt are Mon Tissu and nice. Shoes are G Field "Alex" First picture was taken using standard Caliah style Windlight settings, 2 and 3 were taken with shadows and whatnot on.

3 comments:

Clare said...

Great post, I couldn't agree more.

It's just a hideous look. You could say at least they are breaking away from the SL stereotype of the 7 foot tall bimbo beanpole but it isn't an improvement.

As for the face, why anyone would want to look like they were just slapped with a cold kipper is beyond me.

Fashion blogs should be all about showing off the clothes and accessories to the best effect, which is impossible with such a distorted body shape.

Anonymous said...

A couple things... First, it's Nylon Pinkney, no C. Second, at the time of Dazzle (rather than Last Call), I believe Tableau was not Tableau yet, remember that before Tableau that crew was the Deimos Boardwalk group. Third, I don't think elka was ever in Tableau or Deimos though I could be wrong, since the only main location I remember for her shop, Boing Fromage, was at the Mahoroba street mall, completely unrelated to Deimos or Tableau. Final point is that if you actually look at the main avatars of the Tableau designers themselves these days, they're all goofy grins and such. The connection you should have drawn but failed to is to Paper Couture, since that's the closest connecting link this phenomenon actually has to Tableau. Even then, Paper Couture's haute couture satire has little to do with this current trend, which is generally more romantic-casual than the somewhat matronly outfit you've chosen to demonstrate it. The popularity has far more to do with the serious-faced, underfed, skinny-jeaned, Lomo-shot tumblr fashionistas that have emerged in the past few years than anything else-- and while the Tableau designers dabble in this aesthetic as well, they're hardly responsible for it. Crack open an Anthropologie catalogue fr that matter. I promise Nylon Pinkney had nothing to do with it.
While you're trying really hard to coin this term, it's about as accurate as Mozilla calling Red Pandas Firefoxes.

Trickett said...

I would agree there are Tableau Girls and I would agree there are girls with very down-turned lips and wide hips but I would not agree they are the same thing.
I think "Tableau Girls" tend to be slim with a chic and casual sense of style.
I once read these other girls refered to as "insect girls" although I don't think the term took of. The face feels very exagerated old-school fashionista to me.
I think there is also variations on this face. A lip with pointed corners, such as you have chosen, worn by avatars keen on casual and high fashion and a more beestung, down-turned lip worn by avatars keen on street and urban fashions (such as those pants).
Just some thoughts on the spur of the moment. x: